Thursday, February 27, 2014


When the trailer for The Social Network came out, I was completely blown away. I remember thinking, "This looks like an incredibly fascinating movie," and I ended up being right. But moreover, and trailer does a great job of getting to the core of what Facebook is about, and what Smith talks about in her article: "I want you to notice, when I'm not around," a choir sings, covering Radiohead's "Creep" - and that's really what Facebook is all about in the end. You want to share your world so people see it, because we all want to be seen. The trailer also brings the paradox of The Social Network into the foreground: in the beginning we see Facebook at work, photos of families, people in hospitals, comments about missing people, etc. - and then we get the movie, the story of betrayal, love, backstabbing, and getting left behind. Facebook presents a world full of objectivism, when the real story is a lot more complicated, much like the second half of that trailer - it's messy, it's quick, and there are no easy answers, not like on Facebook. It's not very often that I see a trailer that I love as much as the movie, or a movie I love as much as the trailer. But this one captures the movie, and its essence so perfectly, and I continue to watch it even though I've seen the movie multiple times now. And it has me listening to that cover of "Creep." What the hell am I doing here?

1 comment:

  1. that trailer makes me think again what an amazing thing it was to make such a compelling movie out of a tech company. Funny how Creep gets such a central part, but maybe Trent Reznor's music was not there yet? The song seems to give a different slant on the film than what was actually in the film.

    ReplyDelete